Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gardening!

I am doing square foot gardens this year because of the lack of space in my back yard. I didn't think I would really like gardening this way but my mother in law talked me in to trying it. I LOVE it. There is no weeding, no bending over, no tilling, little watering. And its all organic. I planted lots of tomatoes, carrots, cilantro, cucumbers, peas, basil, radishes, watermelon, cantaloupe, and peppers. Im curious to see if these little boxes can hold it all once the plants start producing.




4 comments:

Alyssa/Jo said...

I haven't got the foggiest idea about gardening so when you figure it all out I would love gardening lessons! I feel like I could have planted a lot more in my garden...oh well. It's so fun to see what new things sprout up each day.

berrymom said...

I love it! You will have to let me know how it goes. I could seriously go without weeding, tilling, and bending over! How deep does the soil go?

Kara and Cody Markham said...

Oh jen its been wonderful. Ill bring the book for you to read when i I come down there.
The soil goes down 6 in. The book said this is plenty for everything but if you are doing a lot of potatoes and carrots, beets, ect. You could add a few inches but its not nessicary.

Lara said...

Oh my goodness.. i am so JEALOUS! What I wouldn't give for a garden! and one you don't have to bend over and weed.. ah pure bliss! I LOVE it. I will hopefully have a lovely garden someday just like you :)

oh random question? did you know Vince at Dallas Roberts? He took a bunch of us girls bowling once for class. I don't remember if you guys were in orientation or not? ANYWAYS.. he lives in the condo building right next to me! crazy.. its such a small world!